"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others" --Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, May 17, 2015

WE MADE IT

Today has been a longgggg day. I was at the airport in Fayetteville at 7:30 this morning, had a layover in Dallas (which was sad), landed in Belize City around 5:00pm and had a three hour bus ride to Dangriga. I immediately regretted overpacking. Its definitely safe to say that I packed the most out of all 100 people here, but honestly is that surprising? I was told to not have high expectations when I stepped off the plane in Belize. It is not a luxurious, rich country and I knew that, but I was shocked at what I saw. It is the most beautiful scenery I have EVER seen, and that I was not expecting. We loaded all our luggage and people into an old rugged school bus with no air conditioning and headed to Dangriga. We had no connection to reality. With the windows down the temperature was perfect and the weather was beautiful. For over three hours all we did was sit and enjoy getting to know each other while admiring Gods immaculate creation. Peaceful is the best way I can describe it. It honestly felt like a movie. I have never seen a more breathtaking view than on my bus ride today and pictures just couldn't do it justice. I find it so saddening that when people come to visit a country like this, most of them just go to the touristy places and miss the true beauty of the place. We watched the sunset over the rain forest and mountains and at one point my friend Emily and I both gasped and grabbed each others arm at the same time; simply in awe of the beauty. Such girls lol. Once it became dark, our delirium set in. We spent the last half of the trip in tears from laughter. Once we arrived in Dangriga around 8:30 we got to eat our first Belizean meal. It was terrifying. We then got to our rooms and discovered some critters but after we settled in we went to the rooftop and enjoyed our first of many Belizean beers! We sat there looking at the ocean and listening to the waves and once again all I could think of was peaceful. The beauty I witnessed today in Belize and in the people I am serving with these next few weeks is truly indescribable. Finally, its time for bed.... Thank the Lord. 









1 comment:

  1. Sounds so cool Sarah. Have a great time! I'm so jealous!

    -Lea

    ReplyDelete